At 39, Matteo Renzi is set to become Italy’s youngest ever Prime Minister (my thoughts on yesterday’s events here) - here are 8 things you probably didn’t know about Italy’s next PM:
1. Elected as president of the province of Florence in 2004, at 29, Matteo Renzi was also the country’s youngest province president.
2. Renzi was a boy scout
3. His background is in the more catholic wing of the centre-left
4. Communications-wise, nobody has had such an impact on Italian politics since Silvio Berlusconi
5. He stood for in his party’s mayoral primaries against the wishes of many - Renzi won the primary, and went on to become Mayor of Florence
6. The future PM is a big fan of Fiorentina football club
7. He once participated in a TV programme called the wheel of fortune
8. Renzi has always been a risk taker
Pics via Corriere and La Nazione.